History

Twenty-three members of the Weston Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) met in August, 1852, for the purpose of organizing the new congregation in Weston, Missouri. In January, 1854, the building was dedicated at the site of the present church at 540 Washington Street.  Weston Christian Church celebrated its centennial on October 12, 1952, with Reverend F.K. Hargrove, a former minister, as guest speaker.

During 1978, the church celebrated its 125th anniversary by remodeling and redecorating the sanctuary.  The culmination of this celebration came in February, 1979, with the dedication of a new eight rank, two console pipe organ that was built by the Reuter Organ Company in Lawrence, Kansas.

Completed in March, 2003, a two story addition was added on the southwest corner of the church building that includes an elevator to the lower level and a handicap accessible bathroom on each floor.  Also included was a ramp to its entrance.

The most recent update to the building was a complete rehab of the lower level including tile floors and new lighting as well as an updated kitchen area complete with a commercial dishwasher, instant hot water heater and convection oven.  These improvements were completed in early 2009.

At least fifty-five ministers have served the church during the past 150 years, either as pastors or evangelists.  The outstanding early leaders of the Restoration Movement, as the Christians were once known, preached here, with Thomas and Alexander Campbell, O.C. Steele, Walter Scott, Moses E. Lard, D.S. Burnett, A.B. Jones, and J.M. Railey among them. A significant fund-raising and community activity for the church since 1993 has been the an annual apple dumpling production.  The church congregation makes and sells over 7,500 of these heavenly delights each year (from scratch!); contributing to over 14% of the church’s annual budget and providing funds for special activities and the youth and children’s programs.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Comments are closed.

Website Developed by The Ad Girl